Sunday, May 9, 2010

Tribute to Mom


These are pictures of my mother, Clara Bennion Thompson, one in her prime and one just months before her death at age 97.
I thought it appropriate to write a brief tribute to her life on this Mother's Day.

She was born on August 21, 1910 and passed away on December 23, 2007, having lived a full and wonder ful life. She was born in Vernal, Utah and lived there until she was in the sixth grade. The family moved to Afton, Wyoming, where she spent the rest of her growing up years. She always had a great love for Star Valley. That is where she met my father and they traveled to Salt Lake to be married in the Salt Lake Temple on June 4, 1930. She was a long-time resident of Price, Utah where she and dad lived and raised three children. My oldest brother David Byron was born in 1933, a second son John Theron in 1939 and then I came along, Linda June, in 1943.

Mom was given many gifts and talents and willingly shared them with all that knew her. She loved people, music and service in the Church. For many years she taught children to play the piano and how to sing. She had a creative gift and expressed it through oil painting, quilting, knitting and crocheting, poetry, music and writing scripts and music for road shows, assemblies and programs. Blessed with a beautiful soprano voice, she sang at innumerable funerals, weddings and community functions. I can remember many times when she would get a call from one of the local mortuaries with a plea for her to come at the last minute and either play the organ or provide a song for a funeral. She was always prepared to do so, many times not even knowing the deceased. The week before her stroke, she was still playing the piano to entertain and brighten the lived of the people that lived in the Beehive Home, where she lived for the last 17 months of her life. Her goal in life was to always "brighten someone's day", to make them feel good and to be happy. When I hear people say you should fill your life with positive and good things, I think of my mom. She could always boost my spirit with her optimism and love and encouraging words.

A few of the written comments at the time of her funeral were:

"Clara was and always will be one of the biggest musical inspirations I've had."
"It has been many years since I last saw her, but I think of her nearly every day."
"I just consider myself lucky to have had her be a part of my life."
"I lived in Clara's ward in Price for many years. She was a ray of sunshine in everyone's life."
"She was always more than willing to give of her time and her talents were amazing."
"She had a god-given talent at the piano and a feeling of how to make music compelling and meaningful."
"I have thought about Clara many times over the years and tried to emulate her cheerful, fun, countenance and ability to laugh at herself."
"She was a bright beacon to follow and her enthusiasm for music was contagious and her spirit unforgettable."
And last a comment from someone who knew her for only a few weeks at Beehive Homes:
"I felt the sweet spirit of Sister Thompson immediately."

After her stroke, when she could neither swallow nor utter a single sound, she made her love known to all around her. She pointed to me, my husband Jerry and then the door to let us know we were to get on with our lives. That happens to be one of the times I just couldn't obey mom. Except for going home to sleep, I sat by her side through the last days she had on the earth. Finally, before I left on Saturday, December 22, 2007, I leaned over and whispered in her ear, "It's time to go, mom, you need to go be with dad." Early morning on Sunday December 23, 2007 exactly 23 years almost to the hour from dad's death on Sunday, December 23, 1984, mom passed through the veil to join her beloved family. I miss her every day, but know that she is there waiting and brightening the lives of all she comes in contact with, just as she did on this earth.

Following are the words to a song my mom wrote many years ago as a tribute to her mother, my grandma Bennion. They are perfect for my feelings about my mother today.

I remember mama when there's gentle falling rain,
As she used to rock and sing close by the window pane.

I remember mama in the cold and dreary night,
Soft white hands caressing me to ease my childhood fright.

I remember mama in her apron clean and bright,
Teaching little hands to mold the rising bread, so light.

I remember mama lying peacefully as we wept,
Silver hair and pleated robe, hands folded as she slept.

I remember mama and my heart is light and free,
Yes, I remember mama, now at home she waits for me.


Ah yes, I do remember mama. I miss her every day and am so thankful that I had such a wonderful mom. I know she waits for me and it will be a great reunion for we were always more than mother and daughter, we were truly soulmates from the beginning of time - this I know.

1 comment:

  1. Linda, absolutely beautiful. I know she was a wonderful person because I know her amazing daughter.

    ReplyDelete