Friday, May 14, 2010

The beginning of a garden


See those few plants in the top picture and see that grow box? Today is a red letter day, because the garden/grow box is about to be planted. It may not look like much to fill that grow box, but just you wait and see - it will not only be full, but overflowing (hopefully) with good things to eat. Tomatoes, peppers, onions, potatoes, beans, beets, carrots, chard, and cucumbers. Those bags are full of nutrimulch and once we get that dug in the planting will take place. A watering system will be set up, but until then I will get this all started and water by hand until the drip system is put in place.
My gardening experience started when I was very young and my dad had me help plant the garden. He convinced me that I was the only one that could throw in the potatoes while he held the soil back with the shovel. Ah, the taste of fresh peas just out of the pod - more went into my tummy than in the bowl to be cooked for dinner. Also, there started my love of fresh tomatoes. I have been known to eat so many that I got hives from the acid. I guess 6 or 8 tomatoes a day was a little much! There is nothing like fresh vegetables from a garden - the store just cannot get them to you with that taste and delicious crispness.
Hopefully, this first experience in St. George will be a good one - only time will tell.

2 comments:

  1. WOW, looking good. You are going to plant a lot of good stuff! I'm sure it will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I forgot to say that I've never heard of anyone getting hives from eating too many tomatoes. My mother loved fresh tomatoes from the garden and she used to eat maybe one - but NOT 5 or 6!

    ReplyDelete